Wednesday, March 21, 2007

~Hang Loose~


Whew, I was just tempted to ‘graffiti’ my name on the airplane wall by the window. I guess I am a bit overjoyed to have a seat on yet another skin-of-my-teeth standby flight. My pencil brushed the wall as I wrestled it from my zipped bible cover. Remember the mark I left on the auditorium seat, back in good ‘ole SHS? How embarrassing.

Anyhow, I’m leaving SFO, San Francisco Airport, from Boise on my way to L.A.—God thrilled me with a fab sunrise. This window seat on the right side of the aircraft wasn’t my seat to begin with, but two stingy business men didn’t want to snuggle-up as I tried to move one of them out of my seat, 22A, into 22B by 22C. This guy had claimed my assigned seat, 22A, for his very own. And Mr. 22C, the larger of the two, pointed to an empty window seat across the aisle, 22F. I kindly obliged as did 22D and 22E. I smiled a large and in-charge grin and said, “Excuse me, excuse me…I just wanna go home.” 22C rebutted, “Where’s home?” TEXAS!

So, that’s how I became 22F and proud of it! And that’s how I came upon the window with the view. It was a breathtaking view of the San Fran bay area as the sun peeked over the hills of an island. The next scenic overlook was a mountain range… ‘sorry for the interruption, I was just served my Canada Dry’…and there’s a river of clouds pouring through a valley. It doesn’t run like a river so maybe glacier-like is a more accurate description. It’s cool! The fact remains, I am on the wild side of the plane. 22A is sleeping with his mouth hangin’ wide open. 22C looks bored. Next stop LAX and I’m gonna be on the lookout for the Hollywood Hills.

The co-pilot just said 15 minutes after-the-hour for touchdown. Fifteen after what? I’ve had daylight savings and changed time zones so many times that I don’t know what time it is?!?!

Well, it turned out to be 8:15 a.m. as we landed on puffy cotton-ball clouds with next to no visibility and no Hollywood Hills. As we taxied along, we played chicken with a Hawaiian airplane. We won! I suppose the Hawaiian guys were hangin’ loose. And now I’m hangin’ loose cuz I actually have a seat assignment on this last leg to DFW.

I’m home! The fella that took my money at the toll booth said, “Wow, $71.00 for 7 days and 17 minutes in 2007.” Little did we both know the thank you gift that awaited me at home, a check for $700.00 from Linda to cover my expenses. The number 7? Perfect!

There’s no place like home and no better people than Linda. Mahalo!

No comments: