Thursday, July 05, 2007

Who, her? change?? Haaah!

…that was the whisper I heard from Satan that night as I drifted off. I awoke that July 5th morning headache still gone and more chipper than usual. Anyway, as I was saying, it was Sunday morning and I had to be at work at 8 a.m., and low ‘n behold thirty minutes before time to leave for work I was ready and waiting…what’s a body to do? Go to work early? No-way!

I saw my bible on the nightstand; it was there for ‘looks’, of course. I decided to give this change-thing a chance. Well, where to start? I’d read Genesis with good intentions of reading the bible thru so many times it wasn’t even funny and I knew enough about the bible to know that Psalms was in the middle, so that’s where I began. Before I knew it, I had read five chapters. And to my surprise, this is what it said in chapter six…

1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?
4 Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.
5 No one remembers you when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave
?
6 I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.

8 Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.


I flipped out! I didn’t know they even had couches in bible times! It was as if the Book had my name in it and the verses were in big bold highlights. This bible had my name inscribed on the front leather cover, but now it had my name mysteriously IN IT! I was like, “Heck yeah, I can change! If God, my Father, can arrange for me to read this psalm this morning then nothing is impossible for Him.”

That day at work I was pumped, to say the least. Jennifer, my friend who worked at the counter next door, sauntered over to exchange juicy details from our Saturday nights on the town. She noticed that I was in high spirits which was unusual for a day that normally dawned a hangover. What is it, Tammie…did you meet someone last night?

As a matter of fact Jenn, I did. I told her all about this guy coming by to see my brother and how he could ‘see’ pain in my eyes. I went on to tell her about the headache, the tears, the couch, the prayer and finally the message from God. Upon glancing up from my paperwork, I saw that she was crying. “I’m sorry…all this talk about me and you must’ve gotten hurt last night?” She said no, it had nothing to do with that then she asked me if she could go to church with me when I went. She wanted a change, too. Day #1--Friend #1

2 comments:

Jackie said...

This is the "why" that you're my inspiration!

Thanks for reminding me that my name is also *on and in* that Book!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!