Tuesday, October 31, 2006

He laid one on me...

Well, here we are ten years later. Today marks the spot in the road when Kent & I had our first blind double date. It was a Thursday and a very cold Halloween, I might add, when we went on our first date to a Junior High football game in Archer City. If we had not been fond of one another it would have been a miserable experience.

Later in the evening, we warmed our toes at Bennigan's in Wichita Falls (the receipt is still in my billfold, and no I didn't pay). Two things stick out in my memory. First, I ordered a hot chocolate and they brought me a cup of hot water and a package of mix. After seeing the disappointment on my face, Kent sent it back to be fixed just the way I wanted it...whip cream and all. Lastly, Kent prayed before the meal in the midst of an atmosphere of the holiday haunts and howling. I was impressed!

The date ended with the two of us all alone in his pickup truck. He turned, for what I thought was gonna be a big sloppy one, and asked if we could pray for God's will in this friendship. Did he kiss me? I'll never tell!

3 comments:

joyfuljourney said...

Awww! Very sweet! You got a good one! J and I had a first date that was similar - a TX high school football game in Abilene, dinner at Gardski's before. There was a large group of us and someone took a picture. So, in my scrapbook there is a picture of our first date! By the way, he didn't kiss for 3 more weeks!

Anonymous said...

Thats such a cute story! im so happy for you..love ya

Jackie said...

June 3 is our first 'blind date' anniversary...49 years ago, Wichita Falls; Putt-Putt golf; ate at the old Casa Manana on 8th street. He didn't have the money for pay out...Luckily, I had 'mad money'. But, he's made up for it (many times) through the 49 years!