Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Tree

I prefer restored and repurposed things over brand-new.  I don't know why?  Maybe because I've been restored, redeemed.  That's not to say that I don't like new things, especially one-of-a-kind new.  Case in point, my tree.  It's a spiral staircase at the restored bank building in Goree, which happens to be the ice office.  Watching the process from nothing to something was a blast.  Especially since the artist, David Awalt, had creative license and I didn't know what it was until it was. 

The whole reason I'm even thinking of the tree today is because of the roped handrail.  The handrail, stiles and vines came in straight, long pieces of round steel.  It took him endless hours to beat the roped sticks into a curved, spiraled, perfect handrail.  Before the wooden treads were added, I watered a concrete tree.  The artist said,
"you will know when to stop" and I did.  The water I sprayed on the 7th day no longer absorbed, but rolled right off.

Now, back to that handrail.  I'm reminded of the verse, 1 Cor 9:27 "But I beat down my body, and bring it into subjection."  Lately I've been praying these verses, Eph 4:26-27 "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." and Mt 16:23 “Get behind me, Satan!"  I feel failure when I wake up the next morning still mad as a hornet.  What am I doing wrong, UGH!  I don't think THIS beating myself up is what Paul had in mind.

Selftalk, "My prayers ARE powerful, I just have TWO enemies."  Satan flees immediately when I pray, I stand on that fact.  It's the Flesh, Jer 17:9, that still needs convincing.  So, I go all 1Cor9:27 MMA on myself as a faith declaration.  I beat every anger verse I can find, into my thick skull
HOPING my emotions match up with my motions.  With each blow, I'm reminding myself that (Bam) this IS the direction we are going and (Boom) we are NOT quitting until we get there (Bing) because unattended anger grows grudges and (Bang) that's a devil's playground.

How do I know when to stop?  The Artist said, "you'll know."  I did because on the day that crud sprayed me down it no longer absorbed, but rolled right off.                    

No comments: